Sweet Potato Pizza Crust - Vegan & Gluten Free
Sweet Potato Pizza Crust - fluffy, healthy , very easy to make (only 5 ingredients) and super delicious !
Who doesn't love pizza ! but unfortunately, I rarely eat pizza because there aren't many places around that have good gluten free and vegan pizza without vegan cheese (I'm not a fan of vegan cheese unless it's homemade).
I tried this sweet potato pizza crust and LOVED it ! I made it twice, the first time it was very fluffy and second time i made a minor change, just added olive oil to the crust before baking and it turned out crispy.
It's very easy to make, you just need 5 ingredients. The only tricky part is how to roll out the dough, but ill show you a picture of how I did it and you'll master it :)
The steps to make this pizza are ;
1 - Steam and Mash the sweet potatoes then mix it with the flax egg
2 - Combine all dry ingredients with any spices / seasoning of your choice . Whisk well then add the mashed potatoes mix and use your hand to knead everything together. It will be moist and a bit sticky (if it's sticking to your hands, add a bit of flour)
3 - Roll it out then put it in the oven ... I've rolled it between two parchment papers as per the picture below . Drizzle a bit of olive oil on it then put in the oven for 10 min. Remove and flip to the other side and also bake for another 10 min
4 - Remove and add all your vegetables ... Get creative !
Few additional tips ; you can make it in advance and keep it in the fridge in a sealed container. I tried it and used it two days after i made it, it was perfectly fine
- 2 Big sweet potatoes , steamed and peeled
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 4 tbsp warm water
- 1.5 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- Seasoning of choice (optional)
How to prepare it
1) Preheat oven to 200 degree C .
2) Prepare the flax egg but mixing flax seeds with the water and leave on the side
3) Mash the steamed sweet potatoes then mix with the flax egg
4) Prepare the dry ingredients ; Flour, baking powder and seasoning of choice (Italian seasoning, garlic powder. mint, etc )
4) Mix the dry ingredients with the sweet potatoes . At some point you will need to switch to using your hands to knead the dough into a ball.
5) Place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper , use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a circle . Drizzle a bit of olive oil on it if you like the dough crispy
6) Bake for 10 min, remove and roll then bake for another 10 min. Remove again and place the toppings that you like .. I added ; Homemade tomato sauce, tomato slices, red onion, mint, broccoli, red pepper, olives , mushrooms
7) Return to the oven and bake for another 20 min (you can keep it more depends how crispy you like the vegetables and dough)