Sweet Potato Brownies - Vegan, Gluten Free
Easy Sweet Potato Brownies made with sweet potato puree, cocoa powder, almond butter, oat flour , maple Syrup , date syrup or coconut sugar topped with 2 ingredients only - sweet potato and vegan dark chocolate
I have had sweet potato dessert on my mind for quite some time now but i didnt get the chance to test it up until this weekend ... The concept of sweet potatoes in brownies sounded interesting but I wasn't sure how the taste will be. I've used sweet potatoes before as cake filling and It was really delicious and moist especially when combined with almond butter and cocoa powder.
The ingredients for these brownies are very simple. I have also added some alternatives that you can use without impacting the taste . The result is rich, very moist (the most I've had so far ) and extremely satisfying . Do not miss the frosting, it's a must ! it's made with 2 ingredients only - Sweet potatoes and chocolate chips - melted into a rich smooth frosting
This recipe will make you approximately 12 servings .
(Before you start making it, prepare your mashed sweet potatoes by putting 2 medium ones in hot water and boil for at least 40 minutes)
- 1 Cup Almond Butter (unsalted)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup date syrup or brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 3/4 Cup Sweet potato puree
- 1/3 Cup Gluten Free Oat Flour
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tbsp baking powder
Sweet Potato Frosting
- 1 Cup Sweet potato puree
- 1/2 cup dairy free / Dark chocolate chips
How to Prepare them
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line an 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper (It's better to use paper because the brownies will be too soft so it will be easier to remove from the pan )
2) Before you start, you should have boiled your sweet potatoes and mashed them into a puree with a fork. Put 3/4 cup of the mashed potato in large bowl and mix with almond butter, vanilla, maple syrup, date syrup or your sugar (coconut or brown)
3) Add the oat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder. Using electric mixer , mix all until well combined
4) Pour the batter into your prepared pan and spread evenly . Bake for 25 minutes
5) Keep the brownies at least 20 minutes at room temperature to cool
6) In the mean time, prepare the sweet potato frosting by adding the mashed potatoes and chocolate chips and cook them over medium low heat. Stir Frequently until all the chocolate melt.
7) Remove from heat, let it cool for 15 minutes then spread frosting over the brownies . Allow is to set and cool in the fridge before cutting it .