Sweet Crepes - Vegan, GF, Refined Sugar Free
New Breakfast recipe ; those sweet crepes are tender, soft and pliable with slightly crispy edges . They are also vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free. I served them with peanut butter and banana... They were amazing! you can also serve them with any fruit of your choice, coconut cream, cinnamon or maple syrup.
European pancakes (including crepes) are very similar to American pancakes. The main difference is the rising agent . Crepes are made without baking power or baking soda. In addition, there are more wet ingredients in crepes than pancakes , which helps with the thinness. Besides the ingredients and the texture, they taste quite different too. Crepes are lighter and can be served either as savory of sweet.
The recipe I'm sharing today is sweet crepes. It contains banana and maple syrup in the batter. Bananas are a great substitute for oil, eggs and add richness, moisture and a hint of sweetness. In the recipe below, I added 1 tbsp of coconut oil, but if you wish to remove it, that's totally fine.
To make these crepes gluten free , I used a mix of oat flour and brown rice flour. Oat flour makes them moist and brown rice flour makes them light. You can substitute the brown rice flour with all purpose flour with the same quantity.
The batter is mixed with a blender. You just need to add all ingredients together and blend them. If you don't have a blender, just mash the banana with a fork and then mix all ingredients until the batter is smooth.
Few notes before you start making those crepes ;
- When you scoop the batter in the frying pan, use a spatula to flatten it. The crepe batter needs to be very thin.
- The first crepe you will make will take a bit longer than the rest . That's because of the temperature of the oil and the frying pan. One thing i do, is I let the pan warm up first then i spread a little oil on it, then wipe most of the excess with a paper towel.
- If you don't know how to flip the pancakes, just make them smaller in size so you can flip them easily or with a spatula. Don't flip them too early, they will tear. Wait until you see bubbles forming in the center of the batter
Ingredients - for 5 medium size Crepes
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1 1/4 non dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 Banana
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup (or honey if non vegan)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (you can remove it if you prefer)
How to prepare them
1) Add all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until the batter is smooth and the banana is mashed.
2) Heat your frying pan on low-medium heat and add a small amount of coconut oil , let it sit for 30 seconds to heat
3) Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan. you can either swirl the pan to make the batter thinner of just use a spatula to spread
4) When you start seeing small bubble and brown edges, flip the crepe
5) Repeat until the batter finishes
6) Let them cool before serving
Let me know when you try them !