Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Spinach
Those stuffed portobello mushrooms look so pretty and work well as an appetizer or a side dish.
I love portobellos, they have a bold flavor and a dense texture. They are also nutritious and tasty. This recipe is very easy to make, I made them twice, first time i had them as side dish with mushroom pasta and the second time with vegan risotto (find the recipe in my blog).
The ingredients that you will need ;
- Portobello Mushrooms ; try to find ones that are not too shallow and not too deep, you want them to perfectly showcase the filling.
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Onion and Garlic
- Frozen Spinach ; Fresh spinach can work but i didn't try it.
- Cheese (I used vegan Mozzarella cheese)
Few tips to prevent the mushrooms from becoming soggy ;
= Wipe clean , use drops of water to clean but don't wash the mushrooms - They absorb water
- Don't bake for too long, but if happens that you did and you see that the mushrooms released their liquid, carefully drain the liquid and place the mushrooms on paper towel to soak as much of the liquid as you can.
Ingredients (for 6 servings )
- 6 Portobello Mushrooms
-4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pack frozen spinach - defrosted
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 minced garlic
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
How to prepare them
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
2) Clean the Portobellos, gently remove the stem of each mushroom and use a spoon to gently scrap out the gills.
3) Mix olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper
4) Brush the Portobello mushrooms with the olive and balsamic mix
5) Place on baking tray, on a parchment paper and bake for 12 to 15 minutes
6) In the mean time, Heat one tbsp olive oil in a pan, put the onion and garlic until brown then put the defrosted spinach and cook well for approximately 10 to 15 minutes Add salt and pepper to taste.
7) Remove the portobellos from the oven, release any liquid that comes out by placing them on a paper towel then fill them with spinach and last step, add the cheese on top