Easy Carrot Cake with Cashew Nut Cream Cheese- Vegan
Updated: Apr 24, 2020
Vegan Carrot cake, perfectly spiced and incredibly moist, topped with cashew nut cream cheese , and very easy to make. Once you see how simple it is , you will keep doing it !
This carrot cake recipe has loads of flavor from the warm spices and a balanced sweetness that comes from fruits and veggies, not just sugar. It turned out perfect! Just sweet enough , dense texture and super moist.
Ingredients (for approximately 10 - 12 servings)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (or you can sub with Spelt flour)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 3/4 cup unrefined sugar (or sub white sugar)
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil (or coconut oil)
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or coconut milk )
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3 cups shredded carrots (around 4 medium carrots)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
Cream Cheese topping
- 1 1/2 raw cashews (soaked in hot water for 2 hours at least)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees and prepare 2 round 8-inch cake pans by spraying non-sticky oil or putting parchment paper.
2) In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients (Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg).
3) In a different bowl, whisk the sugar, applesauce, oil, almond milk and vanilla then add the mix to the dry ingredients.
4) Fold in the shredded carrots and chopped walnuts.
5) Pour the cake batter evenly between the prepared pans, then bake for 40-45 minutes.
6) Remove from oven and allow to cool for approximately 20 minutes.
Instructions for the cream cheese frosting
1) Soak cashews in very hot water for 2 hours approximately . Drain thoroughly and add to a blender. Blend then add all remaining ingredients until creamy and smooth.
2) Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more maple syrup for sweetness.
3) Your frosting is ready to use ! place it in the fridge for 3 to 4 hours until it sets
Let me know when you try it !