Date & Chocolate Cake – GF & DF with vegan butterscotch sauce
I made this cake as one of Ramadan Specialties, since dates are quite popular during this time. They are known for their health benefits as an excellent source of fiber, sugar, magnesium, potassium and have carbohydrates that help the body maintain a good health. When added to the desserts, dates are an amazing substitute for sugar and they are filling and have a rich flavor.
This recipe is quite easy, you can use the same ingredients that I used or make some twists according to your preference. for example, I made the cake with walnuts, but pecans would also taste great with it and even dark chocolate chips for a more "chocolaty" flavor .
here's the recipe, Hope you like it !
Ingredients (Recipe for approx. 10 people – preparation time 15 min, total time 1 hour)
1 Cup Medjool dates or approximately 8 pieces cut in slices
1 Cup Boiling water
4 tbsp Honey
1 Cup Canola Oil
3 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vanilla
1 ½ Gluten free flour
½ Cup walnuts chopped – or more depends on taste
Vegan butterscotch sauce
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
¼ Cup Canola Oil
½ Cup Coconut Cream
½ tsp Vanilla
1) Pour Boiling water over the sliced dates and set aside for 15 min, until it cools
2) Beat the eggs with the sugar until dissolved, then add cocoa powder, oil, dates with water, baking soda, vanilla and blend well.
3) Add the flour to the mix and combine until completely dissolved
4) Add the walnuts (quantity depends on taste)
5) Pour into a greased cake pan (I use non sticky spray oil ) and bake for 35-40 min.
Cool before removing from the pan
You can sprinkle the cake with chocolate chip, walnuts, or icing sugar or with the Vegan Butterscotch sauce
Preparation of the sauce
Heat Brown sugar and oil in a pan and keep mixing until dissolved
Once it boils, remove it and add the coconut cream and vanilla
Enjoy it !!