Healthy Chocolate Muffins (Vegan & GF)
Let me introduce you to the best and easiest vegan chocolate muffin I've made so far ! It looks pretty, and taste so so delicious ... I don't do muffins often although I'm a muffin monster ! I usually keep testing and changing my recipe until i finally get the perfect one and i write it down. What happens sometimes is that i don't expect the recipe to turn out well, so i don't write down what i used, then I get surprised with the result and regret not taking notes while preparing them. I keep saying i should improvise less, but ... not working so far !
This recipe is easy to make and your non-vegan friends will never notice the difference... on the opposite, they might change their mind about vegan desserts :)
below are the ingredients you will need to make approximately 10 to 12 regular muffins. I also added few optional additions that you can use based on your preference and also some swipes in case you don't have all the ingredients listed
- 1 1/2 cup All purpose gluten free flour (or regular flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup Almond milk (or other non dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup Apple sauce
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp hazelnut butter (optional) or dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp espresso powder (optional , used to make the chocolate taste more concentrated)
How to make them
1) Preheat your oven to 180 degree C and spray a 12 cup muffin tin
2) Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder in one bowl
3) Add Vinegar and Almond milk, let it rest for 1 minute then mix on medium speed.
4) Add sugar, apple sauce, vanilla and hazelnut butter (optional) + espresso powder (optional)
5) Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients then fold in the wet ingredients and combine until mixed together fully. (avoid over mixing) . if you are using chocolate chips, you can fold them in the batter at this stage.
6) Pour batter evenly in muffin tins , sprinkle on top remaining chocolate chips or you can add some chopped nuts then bake for 25 minutes approximately . Test with a toothpick or fork by inserting it in the middle, and if it comes out clean, it means they are ready.
7) Let them cool and Enjoy !