Chickpea Falafel - Vegan & Gluten Free
Easy vegan chickpea falafel made with 8 ingredients only! It's best served with hummus and Tahini sauce . You can pan-fry or bake it.
It's not the traditional falafel recipe but it's delicious and easy to make at home. You will only need the below ingredients and a good food processor ;
- Canned Chickpeas
- Salt and pepper
Traditional falafel are made with dried chickpeas that have been soaked but not cooked. I used the canned chickpeas just to make things easier.
You can either bake or Pan-fry , I went for pan-frying here because i like the extra crispiness they get on the outside , but they are very good too if you decide to bake them.
This recipe is adapted from @noracooksvegan.
Ingredients (for approximately 10 falafel )
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup onions chopped
- 2 tbsp raw cashews
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp gluten free all purpose flour (or regular flour)
- 3 tbsp oil for cooking (optional, you don't need it if you are not frying )
For serving ; Tahini Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 8 tbsp cold water
1) Add rinsed and drained chickpeas, parsley, garlic, cashews, onion, cumin , salt and pepper to a food processor and blend them, scraping the sides as needed until combined . You want a crumbly dough, not a smooth paste.
2) Add 2 tbsp flour and pulse again until combined. You should have at this point a dough that you can shape into balls without sticking to your hands. If it's still sticky, add another tsp of flour.
3) Keep the dough in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
4) Remove it form fridge and then scoop out about two tablespoon at a time and shape into a ball, then slightly flatten it into discs.
5) Return to the fridge for another 30 min
6) To pan fry ; heat a large, non-stick skillet to medium heat, add oil and then the falafel discs and fry for 3-4 minutes, then flip and do the same on the other side. Remove and serve.
To bake : Line a baking sheet with parchment paper , heat the oven to 200 degrees then add the falafel to the baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, flip then bake for another 10 minutes.
To prepare the Tahini sauce ;
1) In a medium bowl, combine the garlic and lemon juice, let the mixture rest for 5 minutes then add the remaining ingredients except the water.
2) Whisk well until the mixture is thoroughly blended, then add 2 tbsp water at a time , whisking after each addition until smooth.
3) Try it and adjust as necessary ... Your tahini is ready to serve !